Leaderboard Adsense

Link Units Adsense

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Did you see the Lunar Eclipse?



Last night, when I went home from school, my cousin told me about the eclipse. He said it would take place before the dawn so I set my alarm clock at exactly 1:00 am. When the alarm ringed, i get outside to see the moon if it changed but i saw the same. I get back to sleep and after an hour, went outside again to see the moon, something different changed. It became darker and at 2:30, I saw a black color at the upper left of the moon. I went back to sleep and after an hour, I saw the moon in a reddish dark color.


The Lunar Eclipse

In this year 2011, we have two eclipses and the first one took place today around 2:00 to 4:30 before the dawn. The second eclipse will occur on December 11, 2011.

That was a central lunar eclipse where the center point of Earth's shadow passes across the Moon. The last time a lunar eclipse was closer to the center of the earth's shadow was on July 16, 2000. The next central total lunar eclipse will be on July 27, 2018.

Where does the eclipse has been visible? The eclipse was visible rising over South America, western Africa, and Europe, and setting over eastern Asia. In western Asia, Australia and the Philippines, the lunar eclipse was visible just before sunrise.

About the Lunar Eclipse

Lunar eclipse occurs when the moon passes behind the earth so that the earth blocks the sun's rays from striking the moon. This can occur only when the Sun, Earth, and Moon are aligned exactly, or very closely so, with the Earth in the middle. Hence, a lunar eclipse can only occur the night of a full moon.